I have been searching for an easy way to get YouTube videos into my iTunes.
Some friends suggested website services like KeepVid but I found them incredibly unreliable.
I looked for extensions for my browsers (both Safari and Chrome) but none of them worked. I searched YouTube for solutions, and came up short.
I found a good solution that worked easily and quickly, unfortunately it is not a one-step process.
Here’s how to get a YouTube Video into your Mac’s iTunes. Try it here:
1) You will need to download two free programs:
- Enolsoft Free YouTube Downloader HD http://www.enolsoft.com/free-youtube-downloader-hd-for-mac.html
- HandBrake http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
2) Enolsoft is a free application for your Mac. You simply open the application, paste the website link of the YouTube video (and some other sites) you want to copy and it will download it to your desktop, or wherever you choose. The only problem is it downloads it into an FLV video only. My next step will solve that easily and for free using Handbrake. You can cut out the next step buy purchasing Enolsoft’s $29 version of the program, which I am considering since it works so well. It really does. And… it allows batch downloading. (That’s downloading a bunch of videos at one time.)
3) Next open HandBrake and select the download FLV format. Handbrake will convert it into an MP4. Drag it into iTunes.
This really does move quickly. It’s basically a couple clicks and your finished.
Just as a I was preparing to publish this post, my friend and an incredible educator, Sean Junkins(@sjunkins) retweeted this great post via @FriedTechnology, “70 Fastest Ways to Download YouTube Videos for Free”. It offers many solutions.
Personally, I will keep using Enolsoft because of its ease, speed, and reliability.
Affiliate link included in the “try it here” link above.